Thursday, August 02, 2007

Restaurant Review: Boneheads

Boneheads - 8/1/2007

I was in the area and happened by this fun-sounding place in Lake Forest quite by accident. I was in a newly restored shopping area called "The Orchard," looking for something else. But the name caught my attention, and I thought: "Grilled fish--it's good for me, sounds tasty, and I don't eat it often enough." So I gave it a shot.

Inside, the place was packed. The dining room of this South African-inspired establishment is painted a dusty orange and deep purple, with some paintings and artsy, colorful iron-worked fish on the walls. Ample seating is to be had both inside and out, with tables as well as a number of comfy booths. As you wait in line there is a large window showcasing the grill where your meal is cooked. The menu was up-front and straight-forward. There was a long line, but it went quickly.

I would classify this place as another very high-end fast food establishment. The prices are too steep for every-day lunches
(at least $10 for a meal), and yet certainly somewhere you could take the kids or a co-worker for a good, quick meal. (I found out later that Boneheads, too, is a franchise operation, with establishments in Georgia, Florida, and California which, I think, explains the expensive and tasteful decor.)

On the menu are selections of grilled fish (salmon, tilapia, mahi mahi, and grouper {$10}) and grilled chicken, a handful of sides (from seasoned fries to grilled zucchini), appetizers, soups, salads, sandwiches, and soft tacos--and a kids menu too. I decided to order the combination of 3 tacos with seasoned fries and a drink. My bill: $10.97.

After I ordered, I found my way to an open booth and settled myself into it. In only 5 minutes my food was brought around to me by a cheerful server. The presentation was attractive. The tacos are made with tasty, soft flour tortillas with chunks of nicely cooked and seasoned meat and a slightly-sweet Asian coleslaw instead of the typical lettuce or cabbage. And the fries were seasoned nicely too. Another nice touch: at each table they have a rack of 4 or 5 different "piri piri" hot sauces to apply to your entree. I tried the medium-hot and was quite pleased.

I will definitely return to Boneheads again, but because of the price and distance from my workplace it may be a while. Here is my rating (
on a scale of 1-5, 5 being best):

Atmosphere (decor, comfort, and cleanliness): 4.5
Service (promptness, attitude): 4.5
Price/Value: 3.5
Food (presentation and taste): 4.5
Overall (average of the above categories): 4.3
Recommendation? Check it out. (But not if you're on a budget.)

No comments:

/* ------ Google Analytics tracking code follows ------ */ /* ------ End of Google Analytics tracking code ------ */