Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Practical Preaching?

I was catching up on listening to episodes of the White Horse Inn on my iPod on the way into work this morning. Toward the end of the 2/16/2008 episode ("What would Moses Do?"), Dr. Horton offers a couple of nuggets of wisdom on preaching and the Bible, which I had to transcribe:

When people say, "I need more practical preaching," what they're saying is "I need more Law." Now, they may be right. But a lot of times the sheep don't know what they really need. And if, by nature, we crave more instructions and less about Christ--if, by nature, we take Christ and the Gospel for granted, but really want to hear about how we can have a better marriage--don't you think it's better for us, especially as ministers, to say, "No, Christ told Peter, 'Feed My sheep.' And I'm going to feed you as well as direct you. You need this [Christ-centered, Gospel-oriented preaching] more than you realize. What you're asking for in 'more practical preaching' is more about what you should do and less about what Jesus has done." ...

Now[days], the Bible is God's instruction book. And that's how a lot of people talk about it. Or it's the "Owner's Manual." Well, what is an owner's manual? An owner's manual is a guide you go to that tells you how to fix your car. Folks, that's the wrong category. The Bible is not, primarily, God's instruction book. It has instructions, and they need to be preached. But it is not primarily that. In fact, the Bible's silent on half the things that preachers want to talk about on Sunday morning--when it comes to the "practical."...I don't need a Christian diet; I need a Christian Gospel, if you've got that. Tell me something I can't get from Oprah or Dr. Phil...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I've always said.... Mike Horton - closet Lutheran ;-P

eotijqgoadflmvkad;lmf;lwetopirgopijadfpoiad;lfm said...

That's just good stuff. I think their "Christless Christianity" series that they are doing this year is excellent and should be heard by all. Hey Van, maybe you should forward the podcast link to Joel.

/* ------ Google Analytics tracking code follows ------ */ /* ------ End of Google Analytics tracking code ------ */