Thursday, July 20, 2006

Scots Wha? Huh!?

So this is my first attempt at a blog. Okay, that's not quite true--I started a blog several years ago, just as they were coming around. But I ran out of time to keep it updated and eventually gave up. Now that blogging is "all the rage," I decided to try giving it another shot. (Of course, now I have even less free time, so we'll see...)

I always have lots to say--not that anyone really ought to listen. Then again, I figure that what millions of people post on their blogs is not really that interesting. And if they can do it, then why not me too?

So, what's with the name? I have to admit that I have an extremely hard time coming up with usernames and the like. But since a large part of my heritage is Scottish, and since one of my favorite interests is in all things Scottish, Irish, and English, I figured why not name my blog after the title of the poem by Scotland's bard, Robert Burns.

The title "Scots Wha Hae," which means "Scots who have," comprises the opening words of the poem. The poem is typical of the nationalistic poetry of Scotland, a land which struggled for independence from the English for centuries. I certainly don't know enough of the situation to make any sort of claim for Scottish autonomy today, but for historical (and literary) reasons, the poem is valueable.

Anyway, here's to high hopes.

Slainte Mhath!

2 comments:

eotijqgoadflmvkad;lmf;lwetopirgopijadfpoiad;lfm said...

wooohooo,
somebody with a blog a bit more intelligent then mine....i'm gonna add you to my blogroll!

Van said...

I'm humbled by your kindness, but I think you're more intelligent than I am!

/* ------ Google Analytics tracking code follows ------ */ /* ------ End of Google Analytics tracking code ------ */